The 5 signs that you know your are in the right place with your jewerly biz

Image courtesy of www.thefreedomexperiment.com

Today, we Robin & I wanted to talk about how to know you are in the right place. Having your own business can be exhilarating, rewarding and fun! However, at times you might feel bogged down by responsibility or overwhelm and you may even wonder if you are in the right place. There are definitely highs and lows in biz and it takes a little internal investigation to know if you are in the right place.

It's no joke and I am not going to lie to you, having a successful business as a jewelry designer takes proper planning, determination, dedication and a commitment to your passion. Today, on her blog, my mentor Marie Forleo answered a question from a reader about how to know when it's time to close your business or keep on truckin' with it!

The question is a tricky one, mostly because often times our head and our ego get in the way. If you haven't seen it, make sure you watch it over here.

When I decided to close my first jewelry business, it took me awhile to make a decision but when I finally did…

I knew in my heart it was time to let go.

There is no question that you will have struggles and setbacks as a business owner. You will also have incredible wins.

If you are uncertain, here is a list of the…

5 signs to know you are in the right place with your jewelry business.

1. You wake up excited to work on your jewelry business.

It's not to say that some days you might not feel uber motivated. However the majority of the time, you are excited and up for the challenges and celebrations that you face.

2. You have a consistent flow of creativity.

As a creative being, you have probably been faced with at times with creative blocks and huge surges of creativity. When we are feeling down or not connecting with our business, we have a tendency to lose our creativity. When the juices are flowing, you know you are in the right place.

3. When you are faced with a challenge in your business, you think proactively on how to overcome it.

This is a HUGE one!  Acting like a CEO is essential not only to a thriving jewelry business but also to knowing you are in the right place. If you have the capacity to be solutions focused instead of in a being state of overwhelm, dread or acting like a victim, you are golden. You have a business and things will not always go according to plan. It's in how you deal with whatever comes up.

4. When people ask you what you “do” you are beyond thrilled to chat with them about it.

We work with so many designers and we often hear them shy away from talking about what they do. There could be several reasons for this because I had a loss of passion for the direction in my brand and I was actually just plain over it! I encourage you to understand why you might shy away from talking about your biz.

If it's shyness, get over it and go sell something off your neck.

5. You Move forward out of passion not Obligation.

When your energy is down and you lose your passion, your mind can often get in the way. Marie spoke about this in her blog, as well. You should reconsider what you are doing if your motivation is out of time or money invested rather than true passion for what you are doing.

I knew it was time to move on, close Tracy Matthews Designs, Inc in 2009 for the following reason:

1. I woke up every day dreading to go into my office. In fact, I started teaching a lot more yoga so I could get out of work early.

2. My creative flow stopped and I started putting out crappy collections that weren't in alignment with who I was. My sales suffered and so did my ego.

3. I  proactively thought about how I could get out of my business while halfheartedly trying to fix what was going on inside my business.

4. I hated talking about my jewelry business. I felt like a fraud and I was actually just kind of over it.

5. It felt like a huge burden but I felt like I needed to keep going because I had spent so much time, invested so much money and had a team of people that I felt responsible too.

When I finally made the decision to move on, a huge weight was lifted and a completely new opportunity opened up to me! By following my heart instead of listening to my head, I launched my new jewelry business and have passion and success beyond my wildest dreams.

I know in my heart I am in the right place.

We want to hear from you! In the comments below answer these questions:

1. How does your having your jewelry business make you feel?

2. What are you working on right now?

1. Marylou Denyer on May 7, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I know i am in the right place because I cannot pass by my design table without looking at what I have in progress. I search for new designs, new materials and new items that may not be jewelry. I make a habit of listing a new item, or a couple, as often as possible. I would rather be making something for my shop than doing almost anything else. I am committed to my shop and I love it. My sales have been slow so far this year, but that doesn’t stop me. I know my customers are out there, somewhere.

2. Margaret Sweeney on May 7, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I know I’m in the right place too. I LOVE everything about jewelry. While I love making jewelry I also don’t have a problem with outsourcing. I want a successful jewelry business and I totally get that in order for that to happen I need to take on the CEO role. I don’t want to be sitting up until 2am making every piece myself. My jewelry business is also slow and I do find I spend waaayyyy too much time on social media, searching for new materials, marketing etc. It’s just me in my business and I can’t afford to pay somebody else to do this at this point so I have no choice right now. I hope that changes soon. 🙂

3. Laura Kennedy Aiken on May 7, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I understand where you both are coming from. I wish I could peddle my work as much as I do Social media. I guess I am hiding behind the computer screen. It’s not the best thing to do.
    I love my jewelry too.

4. Kelebek on May 7, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Thank you Tracy! Your willingness to share your full story with ups and downs and insights is a real boost for my confidence in my own journey.

A’s to your Q’s:
    1. Right now, my jewelry biz is helping me to feel “heard” in the world. People are connecting with me since the local newspaper ran a great feature on my jewelry last month. So I’ve been given a fresh dose of encouragement.

2. Working on new designs AND F&T Academy’s Multiply Your Profits…and I’m diggin’ the content already!

Follow your heart…blessings all 😉

5. Julie on May 7, 2013 at 4:02 pm

I know creating jewelry is what i was meant to do because it flows out of me easily, unbidden, at all times. Time flies by when i am doing it. It feels wonderful and i want to do it all day long. I am comfortable and happy with my designs. Right now the uncertain part is the business end of it all.

6. Janis Evans on May 7, 2013 at 4:13 pm

It is a very hard decision to close a business. I did so many years ago but I knew at the time that it was the right thing to do. Today, I am in business once again, designing and selling jewellery and making lampwork beads. I have a different feeling this time about the ups and downs, maybe because I have more life experience behind me but it is a whole new world of marketing and selling in 2013 than it was in the 1980’s so I am finding it very exciting, not only doing creative work that I love but learning a whole new way of interacting with people. Even though my sales have been slow recently I am not anywhere near quitting!

7. Robin Kramer on May 7, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Loving all of these great comments and sharing of your own experiences! Thank you!

8. Janet Cozzens on May 7, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Having my jewelry business is my peace and serenity. I LOVE designing and creating pieces of jewelry. I so wish that I could do it all of the time. I work at a full-time job that is not my jewelry business, and I steal away every chance that I get to go to my jewelry pages online and work on something jewelry oriented.
    Right now, I am working on producing a line of jewelry that can be re-created. I just finished a course with Tim Adam and Lisa Jacobs and I learned so much in that course. I have been working with Tim Adam after the class, and I have realized that the jewelry I am creating right now may not be what I need to create if I really want to make a go at it. I am currently creating one of a kind pieces that I am having a hard time selling online.
    I have turned my attention to smaller pieces that can be re-created so that I may be able to outsource. I am starting a new Etsy shop, blog and Facebook page for my new jewelry. I am hoping that I can move from Etsy to a real online website soon. This is a big goal and I am hopeful that by learning from Tracy and Robin in the Flourish and Thrive Academy: Multiply Your Profits Course that I will be able to take my new vision forward and really turn it into the business that I want for myself and my family.

9. Marie Barletta on May 7, 2013 at 7:03 pm

My jewelry business makes me feel so good at times and unfortunately very depressed at times too. I started it in 2004 doing home parties and flea markets. My husband was behind me until I wasn’t making enough money and was spending more money on jewelry supplies than I was profiting. So I quit, but not by choice. I kept dabbling in it since then, and in 2009 I opened my Etsy Shop. I was totally computer illiterate, so I basically taught myself everything I needed to know from taking great photos to listing and selling. Unfortunately my Etsy shop does not get enough traffic to make the money we all would love to make. But I do have a handful of “Friends” that buy from me. When I am communicating with them and making custom pieces for them I know I’m in my right place and it feels so wonderful knowing that I’m making something from my heart and soul and someone is loving it and willing to pay me for it. It doesn’t get better than that! If only it was on a more steady basis life would be perfect. Tracy and Robin, after getting your F&T blog posts back in January. I got so much out of it. I was in a rut and your blogs helped me to realize this is what I want to do.

10. Dawn DiGesare on May 7, 2013 at 8:23 pm

This morning when I opened my email and saw Marie Forleo’s video for this Tuesday, I thought how ironic that it was sent to me just before the release of F&TA Vol 2. I know that at this point I am exactly where I should be in my jewelry business. I am about 10 years from retiring from a successful career as a hairstylist. I had my own salon for about 12 years. I thought it was going really well but when I had to shut down due to a fire I went to a friends salon to work while they were assessing and rebuilding the building my salon had been in. On the first day working at my friends salon I realized that I was about to make way more money renting a chair and not having employees. It was stressless and I was free from the employees that could not function without me holding their hand. I never went back to my salon. I wasn’t a quiter, I just changed my direction. To this day I never regretted giving up the salon, I still had my clients so I was still in business. Making this choice enabled me to follow other interests which led me to making jewelry. Just before finding F&TA I had been thinking that I needed to step up my jewelry business and make sure that when the retirement is here in 10 years my jewelry business is an established business already.

11. Dita on May 8, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I think I am in the right place because I answered YES to all your questions. My business started for a need to keep my passion of jewelry making going. I want to create jewelry , want to learn new things and incorporate them into my art but that takes funds …so I needed to sell…but I don;t know much of marketing and selling on line and marketing take a lot of my time…I like that much less than the creating jewelry part.

I don’t know if I am ready to out source yet, as most of my pieces are one of a kind. But I am learning and change is good too. So I am open to all these possibilities.

12. Clare Yarwood-White on May 23, 2013 at 12:35 pm

This post really struck a chord! I sold my jewellery business last year as I was struggling to manage it with my two small boys. A big, difficult decision, but the right one! For me it was important to be as passionate about running the business as I was about the jewellery. I love your point about rising to a challenge rather than running from it. Great post, thanks.