Are you struggling to finish your collection on time? You’re not alone!

Back in the day, when I was traveling to trade shows and needed a full sample line of jewelry to display, I was the worst.

Late into the night before my early morning flight, I would be awake finishing up lines sheets, tagging and pricing pieces… ALL because the collection was completed only a few days before.

It was stressful!

The truth is, collection development procrastination is a common phenomenon amongst jewelry designers. And it’s hurting their bottom lines!

Recently, I received an email from a designer who told me that if she could only get her collection completed on time then she would be making more sales.

Now that is a truism (which is why devote an entire module to collection development in our jewelry biz course Laying the Foundation).

Being flaky with completing your collection on time dramatically impacts sales, especially on the wholesale level. If you are late, buyers may have already looked at other lines and have finished their buys for the season.

Fortunately, bad habits aren’t UNBREAKABLE!

Today I am going to talk about the 3 Actions to Take for Designers Struggling to Complete Collections On Time.

We want to hear from you! In the comments below, answer the following:

1. What is the number one reason your collection is LATE?
  2. How are you going to change your collection development habits so that you are on time?

If you haven’t enrolled yet, make sure you sign up for our FREE training the 3 Steps to a Thriving Jewelry Business. Click here for access

After you’ve watched the videos, you’ll hear about our signature course, Laying the Foundation. Enrollment closes for 2015 on January 29th!

Click to Tweet: 3 actions that will help you stop losing #jewelrysales! http://goo.gl/dY0s1j via @flourish_thrive

1. Dana on January 27, 2015 at 10:13 am

Ugh, this is so me. I’m ALWAYS late with my collections. Part of it is that I don’t allow enough time for the production and the larger part of it is that I get caught up in the other aspects of running a small business and suddenly realize that I am way behind… That might just be a self sabotaging, procrastination technique though.
    Either way, it’s nice to know that I’m not alone. This is the year that I want to break this habit.

2. Ailin on January 27, 2015 at 12:08 pm

Thanks for the great video Tracy! The #1 reason I am procrastinating is because I have very little free time to start my business, so I need other people or businesses to at least handle sourcing the materials, production, packaging, and shipping, and it’s hard to start off that way with very little investment capital.

The other issue which I know causes me to procrastinate is self doubt caused by perfectionism. I want everything I make to be original and a true expression of me as an artist, that’s my idea of perfect. If what I design doesn’t match that, then I hesitate to make it and show it to the world.

Also, can you post a comment with the names or links to those project management programs? I think you said basecamp and asino (sp?). If you could post links or write out the names of programs & tools that you mention in your videos, it would really help! Thanks again for the video!

• Chantel McCabe on January 27, 2015 at 4:04 pm

The one project management tool mentioned is asana.com.

3. Chantel McCabe on January 27, 2015 at 4:08 pm

My fundamental problem is that I don’t really have a collection program at all. I’m planning to map out something in Asana. For example, at the very least, plan for Mother’s Day (May), Autumn/Winter (southern hemisphere) and tie it in to a change in theme of my website to suit the season and then Christmas.
    Thanks for the video!

4. Kelli on January 27, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Hi Tracy – I’m curious why end of April would be the time to have all of this done by for Fall? My experience has been that buyers are still looking at things for Fall through June/July/even beginning of August… My challenge is keeping up with the current seasons, creating pieces for retail shows and doing marketing for upcoming holidays etc. and somehow juggling that with designing collections in advance for wholesale. Do you think it’s possible to do both?
    Thanks…

5. Andrea on January 28, 2015 at 1:43 pm

I’m new to creating a collection for each buying cycle. When are the key buying times for each season?

6. Aradia on January 30, 2015 at 12:10 pm

The number one reason I’m late is not scheduling things I believe. I will think of something I need to do (not necessarily write it down) and then forget about it. When I do think about it, I’m focused only on the end goal which seems so big and overwhelming that I don’t even know how to start. Then suddenly the season/deadline passes and it’s too late to even mention any special pieces!

Going ahead and better planning out my endeavors and breaking up the tasks into smaller pieces (so I can really accomplish it by the set deadline) will be key!