How to Move Beyond the Fear of Not Feeling Ready

Procrastination, perfectionism and lack of confidence can be detrimental… especially if YOU are trying to get your jewelry designs out into the world.

Have you ever felt like your collection wasn’t “complete” or “ready” enough to call stores or that your designs weren’t good enough to start selling?

Have you ever felt that you can’t even reach out to editors because your website isn’t perfect or you don’t have your press packet together?

Yeah, me too!

When I started my first business, I made excuses for about 6 months to my husband about why I wasn’t contacting stores or meeting new clients. Excuses like: my collection wasn’t perfect / ready or I didn’t have my line sheets complete.

In reality, I had enough designed to show stores, but I was paralyzed by fear of not feeling good enough. I mean, was I really ready to compete with the big wigs?

However, I needed money coming in the door (my husband reminded me of this regularly) and the only way to do that was to actually go out and sell my jewelry designs (to stores).

Soon, a ‘smack down' with myself occured. It was time to start making stuff happen if I wanted to achieve y my dream of being a well-known designer. No one was going to know who I was if I didn’t get my pieces out there.

So I picked up the phone and called some stores, booked my first appointments and went for it.

(Mind you, in 1998 the only way to make a name for yourself was to sell in stores).

I was terrified because I wanted my collection to be perfect before I showed any stores. I was freaking out inside because I was so worried that the buyers were going to think my line sucked.

Until I realized it was all in my head.

Slowly but surely, orders started coming in and I had an aha moment: I WAS THE PERSON HOLDING MY BUSINESS BACK.

My procrastination and perfectionist attitude was preventing me from making the sales that I needed. I just needed more confidence.

If you can relate to my story at all or ever have a fear of starting before you are ready, then I have a treat for you today. Watch this video and learn How to Move Beyond the Fear of Not Feeling Ready.

Click to Tweet:: Are YOU the reason you aren’t seeing success in your jewelry business? via @flourish_thrive http://bit.ly/1NscOZ4

At the end of the day, EXCUSES like these are just excuses that prevent us from putting our designs into the world in a bigger way.

The truth is, we all have to start someplace and that someplace is right where you are!

If you are stalling or making up stories about why you are putting your sales and marketing efforts on hold, then it’s time to start dealing with the real issue: the fear of not feeling ready.

OK now that you have watched, I really want to hear from you about these::

• What is holding you back from moving forward in your business?
  • How do you deal with self limiting beliefs?

Thanks so much for watching today and hope you are ready to “start before you are ready” as Marie Forleo says.

xo, Tracy

P.S. In the video, I mention our Diamond Insiders Club, our exclusive membership program for designers who are ready to profit from their passion for jewelry. We are launching for Founding Members (today is the last day). Make sure you check it out here.

1. Fannie on September 16, 2015 at 11:54 am

Really enjoyed this one – hit pretty close to home! I have a line that I know people love – I do home shows, tons of custom work and at times the jewelry creativity is endless! When it comes to approaching stores however, I feel timid and push it off bc of several factors. Not feeling comfortable enough with my wholesale pricing strategies to make it worth while, fear of putting it out there, not wanting to bite off more than i can chew so to speak on orders…the list goes on. Definitely gave me some good tips to push myself and get closer to that goal.
    Thank you!

2. Diane on September 16, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Hello Tracy,
    You hit the nail on the head with this video! I’ve been stalling for months on opening my new shopify website and this is just the push I needed! It will never be “perfect”, but it looks damn good right now, so why not just open?
    Thanks!
    Diane

3. Marina on September 16, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Fantastic video and truly great advice. I’m always letting my perfectionist tendencies slow me down, and in some cases, halt me altogether!! It truly is a fear of not being ready. Thanks for hitting it on the nose 🙂
    I’m definitely going to be taking this advice to heart going forward.

4. Janet on September 17, 2015 at 9:38 am

Great points Tracy! I really need to get out of my own way. I feel exposed putting out my creativity and designs and in the process I have stalled my potential on line business with an outdated website. Baby steps…3 each day! Thanks.

5. Barbara on October 22, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Thank you for this wonderful information and advice. I’ve done all of them
    and the results are building momentum. I got my Etsy store up, I’ve made decisions on what social media to use, and I’ve begun doing it…in baby steps. This really does build up my confidence and I no longer beat myself up over being stuck.

I’m getting your 20 sales in 20 days series and all tips are awesome. I’m still taking baby steps and haven’t started using them yet but I will get there.

Thank you so much for your wonderful advice. I look forward to your emails everyday with your comments and suggestions. I’m thrilled that you’re out there sharing this information because it’s been so much help to me.

God bless you,
    Barbara

6. Julie DeMuro on January 10, 2017 at 1:05 pm

Akot of what is holding me back is finances. I do one of kinds alot because of that. I have also not sold alot if pieces and that discouraged me. Then I get to where I don’t make things for a while. I really have to get more motivated.

7. Julie DeMuro on January 10, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Alot of what is holding me back is finances. I do one of kinds alot because of that. I have also not sold alot if pieces and that discouraged me. Then I get to where I don’t make things for a while. I really have to get more motivated.

• Tracy Matthews on February 6, 2017 at 9:04 am

Julie you can do it! You learned and grew so much during Bootcamp. Leverage what you have… If you do OOAK’s then make sure to get good photos of each piece and use the well to attract new clients what love your work. You got this! xo, Tracy

8. Susan on May 3, 2017 at 9:06 pm

This was very helpful. I get stuck over analyzing how to do things and then don’t start. Too bad “Just Do It!” Is already taken! I have taken a few baby steps which is better than not stepping at all. That’s progress.

• Tracy Matthews on June 12, 2017 at 12:54 pm

So true, Susan.. I always say baby steps is the way to go, girl! xo, Tracy