How to Get Your Jewelry Manufactured By Hiring a Contractor for Production

Happy Tuesday… I’m sure you are all scrambling to finish up last-minute holiday orders just like I am. In fact, I received a RUSH wedding band order Friday night that needs to ship next week! Thank goodness I contract out my work or else there would be NO way that I could fulfill this order. At a certain point, doing it ALL yourself is going to become impossible! Yes, it’s a high class problem — to have so many sales that you can’t keep up with production. But don’t worry, you CAN get help and find support that will step in.

Hiring a manufacturer or a contractor to help with your production is the start. Outsourcing the “making” of your work can take off loads of pressure and actually help you become more profitable.

Why? It helps free up time and energy so you can focus on revenue-generating activities, customer happiness, and marketing — all so you have more sales coming in. In fact, within 6 months of starting my first jewelry business, I found contractors to help with my production. I knew that if I wanted to be able to ship quickly and take on $5000-$10,000 orders eventually, getting outside production support was key. I didn’t really know it at the time, but I was thinking like a CEO. The whole purpose of having your jewelry business in the first place is to get MORE of your work out in the world, right?

Today I am going to talk about How to Hire a Contractor or Manufacturer for your Jewelry Business.

click to tweet:  How to hire a manufacturer for your jewelry biz http://goo.gl/qBjF82 #jewelrydesigner

Now it’s your turn! In the comments below, tell us the following:

1. Are you considering outsourcing your production? If so, what is holding you back?
  2. Have you already started outsourcing some or part of your production? If so, tell us more about your experience.

Ok that’s it for today! xo, Tracy & Robin

P.S. The world needs your gifts! My friend Bonnie Glendinning is hosting The Thriving Artist Summit, a two-week FREE educational series designed to help you unlock the doors to success in your creative business. She is interviewing me (on January 16th) along with 20+ highly successful artists, experts, and mentors. We will all be sharing our best insights for real success.

Want to join us? Click here to reserve your spot now!

1. Susan Beehler on December 16, 2014 at 6:31 pm

I am looking to outsource but I have a number in mind, when my production reaches that number I will enlist the contractors. For now I am building the system to implement when I hit that number. Networking and looking to build a team and the sales has started.

2. Raymonde on December 16, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Most of my pieces are one of a kind pieces, so i don’t know if outsourcing my production would be a good idea. I duplicate very few pieces.

3. Raymonde on December 16, 2014 at 11:38 pm

I don’t know if outsourcing production on my pieces is a good idea as most of my pieces are one of a kind. I duplicate very few of my pieces.

4. Vanessa Vinos on December 17, 2014 at 10:17 am

Great video Tracy. It would have been useful if you went into more detail as to where/how you find manufacturers. I have contracted a couple I found via LinkedIn and both were disasters.

5. Andrea on December 22, 2014 at 1:06 am

I agree with Vanessa. I am completely lost as to where to find great manufacturers/manufacturers in general. Where do you start? Something’s telling me just searching online isn’t going to cut it. Is there a resource that has manufacturers rated? US vs Bali etc?

6. Kim Klass on January 13, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Hi Tracy,
    I have been in business designing jewelry since 1986… I find the retail end to be most rewarding because wholesale leaves loose ends such as product not being sold all the way through. I have hired outside contractors as well as trained people to help me here in my studio and the most troubling issue for me is comunication. I seem to lack proper words to explain exactly what I want and how to do it… I appreciate your videos on getting better focused on goals and intentions and actually the process of writing to you is helpful. THX KIM KLSS

7. Katie on March 14, 2015 at 10:33 am

I made handstamped jewelry and I can’t figure out what could be outsourced for the process? If each letter is stamped by hand, how could I outsource that?

8. Sara on February 21, 2016 at 11:00 am

Yeah I agree with people above. There needed to be more detail as to how to find people and what to do. While I enjoy the production value of the videos and that this is specifically suited for jewelry designers, I find myself continuously frustrated with how extremely general the content is. Most of the people that come here already know the “common sense” stuff (like asking questions) but we come hoping to get more detailed, nuanced information. Maybe the paid courses give you more of this information and they’re “saving it” but the trouble is, I’m not comfortable spending money on a course before I know I will at least get new information that 1000 other blogs won’t have, or things most of us already know. Please go into more detail in the free content and more of us will pay for courses!!

• Tracy Matthews on February 23, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Thank you so much for your feedback! It is really, incredibly helpful for me to hear what designers need and how I can tailor the information we provide here at Flourish and Thrive Academy. The content in the paid course is much more specific, but I understand and appreciate your point about bringing our best information to our free content. Thank you for listening!

9. Neil on March 1, 2016 at 3:19 pm

We are serving several jewelry brands and have now an opening for two or three new customers depend on need.
    We are located in Gemopolis Bangkok duty free zone for all your needs.
    Our production is second to non Italian Quality at a fraction of price.
    American management team so we understand exactly what is requested.
    We offer complete solution with a turn around less than 4 weeks.
    please email me neil@delatori.com for your special needs.
    Thanks,
    Neil

10. Scott Janiak-Ross on April 15, 2016 at 5:45 pm

We are Contract Jewelry Manufactures base in Southern California. Easy to remember webpage licensed.jewelry Have been in the business over 50 years and have clients as big as Disney and NASCAR and small as local football teams

11. Carolyn on August 7, 2016 at 4:52 am

Yes. Please more information, because alot of people get online and say they are helping and giving you information, when all they are doing is telling their success story, but not giving detailed information on who to contact for as far a manufacturers leaving you hanging and still wondering and lost.

• Tracy Matthews on November 18, 2016 at 10:26 am

Hey Carolyn! Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated! xo, Tracy

12. Valerie WILLIAMS on August 21, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Tracey I couldn’t find the PR training so I thought that I would explore the other topic and podcast that you’ve done. I’m glad I did information on outsourcing, was a big help I had no idea how I would this or what questions to ask. Thanks again.

• Tracy Matthews on November 18, 2016 at 10:14 am

Hey Valerie! You’re so welcome! xo, Tracy

13. Diane Litten on July 25, 2017 at 3:37 pm

I have a piece of jewelry that I would like to have manufactured. It requires gluing, some hand maneuvering with crystals, magnets, etc. Basically it’s piece work. I actually sourced the metal that I work with and everything else needs to be pieced together. Is this considered manufacturing?? How does one prevent one from taking the design? Your video was somewhat helpful in that I would need to ask to see the manufacturer’s previous work or get references.

14. Vidur Joshi on November 16, 2017 at 11:34 pm

I am manufacturing contractor and work on jobwork basis.
    For more info email me on vidurjoshi64@gmail.com