The 3 Things You Should Never Do When Designing Your Jewelry Collection

Yes, it’s true. Design is an interpretation of art and creativity. However, if you want to have a successful jewelry brand & business you need to take into account some of the things that you should never do when designing your jewelry collection.

1. Don’t design without your ideal client in mind

The first and most important: never design without your ideal client in mind. Many of you who have followed us for a while probably have heard this over an over. If you are new to F&TA, this might be the first time you’ve heard this. If you don’t design with your ideal client in mind, you might as well shoot yourself in the foot.

When you design with him or her in mind, you end up thinking of things like price-point, style and aesthetic that will automatically generate a sale.

For example, let’s say your ideal client is a stylish fashionista who likes to buy new jewelry every season. She makes about $70,000 a year and lives in a city. Her budget for clothing and jewelry is just a few hundred dollars a month. If you are really targeting your line towards this person, you should be designing pieces in an aesthetic and a price point that she can afford.

The same is true if your ideal client is a fancy lady with thousands of dollars in disposable income. Think about what she is buying and why she wants to buy from you.

Starting with her (or him) in mind leads to the most success generating revenue and leads for your biz.

2. Don’t design your collection without focus

Focus also ties into the ideal client avatar and cohesive design.

The most effective and successful designers are those who develop a signature style and stick with it!

I am not saying that your design doesn't evolve over the years, however I am suggesting you stay focused on your overall brand vision.

For instance, if you design dainty personal jewelry one season and it sells really well, and then the next season, you decide you want to make only statement necklaces, wouldn't you agree that you would probably be alienating your current clients?

Unless you are a trend designer, stepping away from your signature look will only hurt you. You will confuse your clients and lose sales.

3. Don’t design without evaluating your sales from the previous season

Unless you are a complete newbie and launching your first collection, you must be constantly evaluating what has worked and what hasn’t for your collection. You gather this information by looking at your sales.

Successful brands are always reevaluating. If something you designed totally tanked, brushed it off, pull it from the collection or redesign it.

The information you receive also will tell you what kinds of styles ARE working for you. We aren’t suggesting you design more of the same, but, think of your ideal client. If she liked a certain piece, what can you design that merchandises well with that?

If you are in this business to win it, you must always be consistent while keeping your collection fresh and new.

Take a look at your line and evaluate where you stand with this.

When was the last time you lost focus designing your collection? How did you get back to your brand vision?

Seriously, we want to know. Post your answer in the comments below this post!

And if you haven’t already, go ahead and sign up for our awesome mailing list – you’ll get lots of great advice, access to FREE coaching calls and a lot of other insider tips.

And tell your friends!

Tweet This!

The 3 Things you should never do when designing your #jewelry collection http://bit.ly/RrRcfP

1. Nancy Troske on October 15, 2012 at 10:18 am

Great advice, whether you are starting out or have been doing this for a while, these are very helpful tips. Thank you!

2. Kristin Larson on October 19, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Great advice. I’ve bookmarked this and will return to it often, I’m sure. Thank you!

3. Lisa M Landers on October 20, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Great Post! Thank you!

4. James on November 26, 2012 at 5:31 am

Today i learned very much from this article regarding what not to do while designing jewellery. Thanks for sharing this vital info with your visitors.

5. Kathleen Largent on January 30, 2013 at 1:58 am

I have bookmarked this and will refer to it, great advice!
    Kathleen

6. Mark Ellison on November 10, 2015 at 11:19 am

I’ve always designed pieces as one-offs but I’m reading up on designing a collection and your tips (and blog) have been helpful in learning more. Thanks for these tips.

7. Jaspr Cragg on January 5, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Just starting out, the timing of this information is spot on!

8. Deborah Mathias on January 11, 2016 at 8:33 am

Really appreciate this information.

9. Anita Quick on January 12, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Thank you, I had time to do some evaluating and learned my clients are within the 60.00 to 150.00 range and prefer gems and sterling silver 1″ x 1″ designs. I have a grape pendant design that has not sold. I love it but need to evaluate why this has not sold. Maybe I need to try the vineyard shows or markets.

10. Kris Harris on January 19, 2016 at 1:32 pm

WOW…..great article! Really wasn’t thinking in this vain! I’m rethinking what Im doing. Thank you.

• Aileen on February 27, 2017 at 1:56 am

You conudl’t pay me to ignore these posts!

11. Malirose on February 2, 2016 at 8:43 am

I had once sold my creations at Zalora Philippines. My pieces there did well. However, i had confusion sometimes as to where should I focus my collection strength. My woven bracelets were sold out. Then my wire bangles are also hit. And my crystal beaded rings are also fine becoz of its simplicity and elegance. I had closed down though because of my personal loads. And im goin back this year to renew my contract. What if you have 3 different sets of collections? Should I focus in what sells well? If you can share a sparkling advice? Many Thanks!

12. Collection of jewelery – HollydaySpecial on March 9, 2016 at 5:51 am

[…] Posted on October 15, 2012 • 11 Comments […]

13. Rina Luban on August 31, 2016 at 10:03 am

You guys are amazing. I just found you within the last few weeks and have also been listening to your pod cast. This is all great advice. I also read your Ebook re: collections. I work in two mediums, PMC and argentium which have very different aesthetics. I guess that means two collections!

14. Jewel on January 27, 2017 at 12:05 pm

As a newbie…only a little over 1 year into creating my business…I am constantly struggling with well everything! I find ALL of the content on this site SO helpful and as soon as I start actually making money I fully plan to do some serious training!Thank you Robin and Tracy for starting this amazing community!

15. Parveena Lloyd on October 13, 2017 at 10:58 am

I’ve literally been struggling to set up my own business- right down to how to even begin with making a collection and have my own ‘brand’. This info is so helpful!! So glad I have found this today- thank u! Look forward to learning more and hope I can become successful!
    Parveena X

16. Liz-Anna on January 8, 2018 at 4:07 pm

This is a challenging part of jewelry design so I really appreciate your help in providing some clarity. I feel like my designs have kind of been all over the place although I’m beginning to see that it’s not so much that, because I generally stick to a certain aesthetic, but I haven’t been thinking in terms of collections. This helps.