Easy Sales Tactics to Build a Strong Foundation for Repetitive Jewelry Sales

Have you ever been frustrated because it seems like there’s just not enough time in the day to work on sales for your jewelry business?

Well, you are in for a treat today! Robin and I are chatting about some easy sales tactics that are going to get you motivated and bringing home the bacon in your jewelry business.

Any jewelry designer who is committed to success can be an amazing salesperson. In fact, with a little practice, you’ll become the best sales person in your business! Clients love purchasing from the artist.

In this video, you are going to learn:

1. The Top 5 Tactics that Robin preaches for maximum sales impact.

2. The key reason why jewelry designers fail at sales.

3. Actionable tips on creating exceptional client experiences.

Start NOW…it doesn’t matter where you are in business. We have some good news–over time, sales gets much easier. For the sales-timid… more good news–once you start building a strong foundation and the sales start rolling in, you can invest in a salesperson who can take over for you!

Now it’s your turn! We want to hear from you!

In the comments below, tell us the following:

1. Do you struggle with sales in your business? Are you having a hard time getting repetitive clients?

2. What is one action step you are going to take to create a strong sales foundation for your jewelry business?

If you like what you watched, make sure you check out our FREE training series:

Free access to our 4 Essentials training

Learn how to build a strong foundation for your jewelry business!

1. Kristen Romans on January 14, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Hi Tracy and Robin! Thanks for yet another ‘shot in the arm’ and in particular for stating outright: ‘it doesn’t matter where you are, just start’ & (paraphrasing) ‘you’ll always feel like this or that isn’t quite good enough, or ready yet…’ Holy cow is that true and I realized I focus on THAT just a little too much.

Yes I struggle with sales and to get repeat clients. I’ve focused on retail sales up to now and only a very small fraction are repeat customers. After finding you ladies about a month ago, I did start slowly working through my whole list of everyone who ever bought from me, to reach out, say ‘hi’, and invited them to be on my mailing list for my newsletter (just wrote my first one for January) and added an incentive by sending a 20% off coupon for my online shop to anyone who signed up. I didn’t really ever take the time to build or nurture any relationship with customers and realized that is key for creating sales.

I struggle with sales and how to talk to customers at craft fairs – how much to tell them about myself and my work so they ‘get’ that I design all the pieces etc. Sometimes I think I turn people off by starting to talk. Advice about that? Should I have some kind of rack card out that shows images of me working and describes my work ie. what they are looking at? These are retail customers and I want them to understand that they are looking at real, designed jewelry by the silversmith standing before them, and I don’t just ‘assemble’ pre-bought components.

Action steps:
    1. Just did this one – wrote down ‘candies’ on my grocery list and I will include some in my packages. I love when one of my suppliers sends candies w/ my order, its just a little zinger of a treat and always makes me smile.
    2. I am going to write a ‘thank you’ note to my first wholesale customer – a boutique owner – and also I am going make a quick notecard design with my logo on it and send to get it printed.
    3. Keep working my way through my list all the customers who’ve bought from me.

• Robin on January 15, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Hi Kristen,

So happy you are part of our community and are taking action!! I love your idea of having images of you working on your jewelry! Images are powerful! I would also doing a blog post about being a silversmith and definitely include an image or two! Make a list of what makes your jewelry so special and then brainstorm how you can communicate it to your clients. If at a craft fair, think how you can stand out from the other jewelry designers there. Research blogs and magazines that highlight silversmiths, jewelry designers, made in the USA.
      Staying connected to your existing clients is essential for repeat business – be consistent. Keep track of birthdays, anniversaries and other special occasions.
      Talking to clients and potential clients can sometimes be challenging, but just be friendly. At a show I like to say hello to everyone – even the folks working the show and my neighbors (who could become a client). Compliment people on their shoes or clothes are jewelry they are wearing or how cute their child is… Don’t feel that you have to “sell” to everyone. have something to pass out like a small token or maybe you have some old stock of items that you no longer make – it doesn’t have to be big or expensive. You can offer a drawing for a piece of jewelry. They have to submit a business card or have a pad that they can put their information and submit it. Doing a drawing each day of the show. Get creative!
      It is far much easier to have a small client base who are repeat buyer then it is to get new customers. Nurture your existing clients. Ask them for feedback on your line. Get to know them – really know them. Always be sharing (not selling) what you do and yes, do know who your DREAM client is so you can go to where she is.
      I could go on and on… Let me know if this is helpful! Happy you are jumping in! 2014 is going o be an awesome year!
      Xo Robin

• Kristen Romans on January 16, 2014 at 11:00 am

Thank you Robin! These ideas are ‘gems’ (no pun…) and I so appreciate your taking the time to personally answer and address my challenges and questions. There are many more too… : )

I’m going to copy this and save it to my files so I can reference often. And it is very helpful to read your responses to everyone else’s query’s too. Thanks all!

~Kristen

2. Chandreyee on January 15, 2014 at 2:48 am

Okay, so after watching your video, I have to say that I don’t absolutely struggle with sales, but I’m not selling anywhere close to where I want to be. I do have several repeat customers, but only one that I can count on consistently (ie, monthly). I was talking with that customer in particular and he was telling me that I need to face that I am more of a ‘specialist’ rather than a simple designer. I started thinking about what he said, and he’s right. I would rather work with 20+ clients on a monthly basis creating something new for 10+ of them at any given moment rather than having to guess on sales. I do like getting my own creations out there and sold, but I also love custom work.

That being said,

I plan on doing the birthday and anniversary thing that you two suggested. I know that there are a few customers that I would love to do special things for. (Cards or something).

So my two biggest problems are the following:

I can’t figure out how to find and communicate with my target market and B) I have learned through a previous coach that you don’t give your time and product away. How do you work with that in this line? (Jewelry).

3. Robin on January 15, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Hi Chandreyee!
    Some great realizations for you!
    It’s really important to know who your DREAM or ideal client is and where they hang out – what stores, what online sites, what they like, etc. Also, your existing clients are a great resource for referrals. Like minded people usually hang out with like minded people. Getting on blogs and other social media like Facebook, Pinterest and instagram are all great ways to connect with potential clients.
    Your time if valuable so look at how you can get the most out of what you are doing. For example if you have a non-profit you would like to support, they are other people who feel strongly about supporting that non-profit. If you design equine inspired jewelry going to horse shows is a great way to network and meet potential clients. Check your local community to see if there are networking groups or meet up groups where you feel you DREAM client may be.
    Create a FRANC list of your Friends/Relatives/Associates/Neighbors/Clubs (or church or charities). This FRANC list should be your list of potential customers or people who can refer your potential customer. Now, contact everyone on that list and let them know that you grow your business based on referral and ask them if they could refer someone. If you never ask, the answer will always be no so ask.
    Wishing you a great day and an awesome 2014!!
    xo Robin

4. Lianne on January 15, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Thanks so much, Tracy and Robin, for all the great info!

I do have a hard time making sales. And the only repeat customers I have so far are…family members. 🙂 Customers leave rave reviews after purchasing from me, and I really do try to make their experience special. For example, all of their purchases are gift wrapped, and I include a handmade “thank you” card with a handwritten note in it.

I must admit that my jewelry is a bit “out of the box”, which isn’t to everyone’s taste. And there’s a struggle I often come back to – Do I make what everyone else does to get the sales, or do I make what makes my heart “sing”?

One change I’ll be making is to include chocolates in the packages! What a brilliant idea! The name of my business is The Grand Fern Alley, so I’m going to do a search and see what chocolates come in leafy ferny shapes. We’ll see how it goes!

Thanks, again, ladies!

Lianne
    The Grand Fern Alley

• Robin on January 27, 2014 at 3:47 am

Hi Lianne,

You have wonderful questions! It seems that you need to get really clear on who your DREAM Client is. By digging deep and learning who your DREAM client is, you will be able to reach her faster and easier.

Tracy and I love talking about the DREAM Client – In fact, we created a 2 week intensive course dedicated to learning who your DREAM client is. We had so many designers who were having trouble with figuring out who their dream client so we had to help!

If you can, join us on a live Q&A call (IT’S FREE) Monday, January 27 at 3 PM Eastern time.

XO

5. Heather on January 15, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Hi Guys!

Gosh, I love these videos you put together. Thanks for sharing them with us!

I don’t have to hard of a time getting sales, they’re just not steady, and not where I want them to be yet. I do get repeat buyers sometimes, but again, not as frequently as I would like. I already do things like include thank you notes and the occasional free gift, and my customers LOVE it. But I rarely see them again.

One area I know I need to work on is my newsletter. So many of my sales come from Etsy, and Etsy discourages us from contacting our buyers for anything other than transaction related business, so building a mailing list has been challenging. I’ve resolved to start sending a post-sale note thanking my customer one last time and asking if they’d like to be added to my mailing list.

Thanks again for all the info you guys share!

Heather
    Little Hill Jewelry

6. Ysa on January 16, 2014 at 10:42 am

Dear Tracy and Robin,

This is a wonderful video, you guys look great.
    My question may be off from this thread, but wasn’t sure where else to post my questions.

I love all the amazing advice you guys have been giving. However, I just recently decided I wanted to be a jewelry designer. So I am quite clueless about the designing process or I guess I have limited knowledge of jewelry in general.

I’ve been reading a lot of books and going around suppliers trying to learn more about jewelry before i start designing. But you’re right, it’s easy to to make excuses, I should just start!

Since you’re training has been focused on the business aspect of things, would you also be able to give advice on the design process. Or maybe would you be able to suggest books or websites I can go through that can help me find my niche, or beef up my knowledge on the different kinds of jewelry I can make.

Do I make sense? I’m just quite lost and overwhelmed at the moment with designing before I can even consider thinking of the business side of things. Hope you can share some advice on this.
    Thanks!

7. Mandy on January 24, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Hi,

I just signed up for the Laying the Foundation course, but wanted to comment on this video. I don’t really struggle with sales when I get to talk to a person, however, I do spend a lot of time online either talking to clients/potential clients, networking with other small business owners, etc. and don’t seem to be able to convert the online contacts into sales. I do not get a lot of repeat business, although I have been starting to get a few great emails and pictures from first time customers. I also started sending follow up convos on Etsy to customers once their items are shown as delivered.

Watching this video, I know I definitely need to build a mailing list. 4 years on Etsy and I don’t have one. I am a military spouse, so I expect to move around a lot… you’d think I’d have figured this out already. Part of the problem is that I have no idea what I’d say in a newsletter. I blog, I update FB daily, I participate in Etsy forums, I post stuff to Tumblr. The blog tends to be about life as a military family (travel, sightseeing in our new hometown, etc), FB is for developing work (ie working custom orders, talking about projects in progress, what’s getting shipped out today, etc). Ironically, the more time I spend writing about what I’m up to, the less time I have to do stuff to write about. Do you have any pointers on what should go into a newsletter or contact email? How do I compel people to sign up for another mailing list?

Thanks!

8. pam robinson on January 24, 2015 at 1:11 am

Awesome points made by both of you gals. Upon receiving an order, I send an email confirming when the item will ship … ask how they found me … assure them they will be getting a coupon code via Etsy (and I also have a “forever” client coupon code).

I ask if they would like to be on a mailer list … perhaps 2-3 x/year, so no haunting … (( I am not all that comfortable stalking clients … so that may be my problem. But I feel like I may turn them off by doing so…? wrong?

I gift wrap, handwritten note, send something extra such as a magnet with my shop name and URL they can use on the refrigerator … no candy yet.

I feel like I am doing all the right things and go way above average customer service … I truly do.

Still not all that certain who my ideal client is and where to find them; and admit that I am not consistent with social media.

What is a typical exchange between yourselves and a client (new or otherwise) in terms of reaching out to them? For some reason, I cannot fathom bothering people and have more of an attitude “they know where to find me.” HAHA … not getting me anywhere, tho.

Pam