My Secret to Building a Jewelry Business

Building a jewelry business takes a lot of determination and persistence. Ultimately, it comes down to creating connections with your clients.

Recently, I was working with a mastermind designer who had been courting the owner of her ultimate DREAM store. Over the course of the three years, the designer spent time consistently following up and building a relationship with the buyer. While it took some time, her persistence paid off and she is now one of the top selling brands in the store.

Building strong relationships is one of the most important factors of success in business. At the end of the day, sales is all about relationships. My success in growing the Dogeared brand can be credited directly to my relationship-building skills.

Today I wanted to talk to you about some of my “Secrets” to building a jewelry business. Watch the video below to learn some of my favorite relationship building skills.

Click to tweet: My Secret to Building a Jewelry Business http://bit.ly/1pvYwIo

We want to hear from you! In the comments below, answer the following:

1. What are some of your relationship or sales building tactics.

2. What is your biggest takeaway?

If you haven’t heard yet, our Mastermind Intensive for 2015 is open for enrollment until October 24th. Listen to the stories of success from a few of the designers who have worked with us masterminding and find out how they’ve exponentially grown their jewelry businesses with our support!

Go here to Find Out More and Download Your Application

1. Megan on October 21, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Operating with a CRM & scheduling time for related activities are absolute MUSTS. Next on my list is plugging in snail-mail and appreciation gifts. 🙂

• Robin on October 27, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Megan,

Love it! Way to make your life easier and at the same time making sure your customers are feeling your love at attention!

Thanks for sharing!

xo Robin

2. Jane Bartel on October 21, 2014 at 8:51 pm

When I was pitching new business for my print design studio (which was constantly) I kept a spread sheet to track how often and what method I had used to connect. Was it a portfolio showing or a phone call or did I send promo material, did I meet you at a convention? This was critical because you don’t want to be a nuisance. Sometimes it took over a year to land a big account so being relentless is key.

I built strong relationships with all of my clients through critical actions such as delivering quality product on time and going over the top when necessary, truly being a partner with their business. We hung out, we had lunches and drinks, we had fun. I would always ask them what their vendor “wish list” was and frequently got some really great info. that was not so obvious.

When you believe in every single aspect of what you are selling it is easy to sell.

• Robin on October 27, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Jane,

Brilliant! I totally agree! Being relentless and patient while building strong relationships. Critical actions are also key ingredients to successful relationships.

Sometimes it does take awhile before the buyer is ready to buy, but when they are… you are there!

Awesomeness.

xo Robin

3. Jeanette on October 21, 2014 at 11:23 pm

My business has been predominantly retail wedding band sales, to encourage repeat customers I mail out Happy Anniversary cards a month before the couples anniversary date. It keeps my brand at the top of their minds for gift items and has helped to increase sales of my production pieces.

• Robin on October 27, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Jeanette,

How thoughtful and wonderful! I am sure they appreciate your amazing gesture.

xo Robin

4. Leah Cotorceanu on October 22, 2014 at 3:31 am

This video was super helpful. I really appreciate it, since I have worked in sales and tend to be uber introverted. But keeping it real and realizing sales is all about relationships is key. That was a great reminder, and that is my biggest takeaway today. As far as my relationship and sales building tactics, it’s just that. Reaching out to people, even via the internet and blogs, and being engaging and honest and helpful is most important. Thanks again for this video!

• Robin on October 27, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Leah,

So happy you got a good reminder from the video. Totally agree – reaching out is key. Really, everything is about relationships and helping one another.

Thank you for your comments.

xo Robin

5. Dana on October 22, 2014 at 2:25 pm

I’m just getting started, and I found this advice extremely helpful, and it reminded me that it’s always about giving to your customers rather than seeing how they can help you.
    I’m wondering if anyone has any advice on CRMS for a new designer. I’m building my online direct-to-retail platform, and after that, I plan on reaching out to stores. What type of CRM would you recommend? I don’t love Excel.
    Thanks Robin and all for your take!

6. Robin on October 27, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Hi Dana,

Wise words – it is about giving rather than getting… and the more you give, the more you receive.

I have always created my own CRM systems, but there are good ones out there that I suggest just trying and see if it works for you.
    Check out Method, Capsule, Insightly and there are lots more. The most important thing is to know what you are wanting in a system. What information do you want to keep track up. What one designer may love, may not work for another.

Let us know what you decide. Wishing you continued success!

xo Robin