What selling on QVC taught me about Value (and how to communicate it)

Several years ago, I landed a HUGE order for QVC. I was so excited to be working with them, as it was going to open up my designs to an entire NEW breed of clients.

Before my first show aired, I was required to participate in a sales training. Even though I had done some of the exercises before unintentionally, the trainer for the group had us go through exercises to identify WHY people buy jewelry!

I am going to paraphrase, but one of the first things she said was:

“Let’s face it, Nobody NEEDS jewelry! Having a successful show comes down to identifying why someone NEEDS jewelry and how YOU communicate the VALUE you provide.”

When many large jewelry brands “interpret” their collection for QVC, they try to replicate their products inexpensively but in a way that resembles their luxury collections. Judith Ripka and Anthony Nak for QVC are great examples of this!

What they are actually doing is upping the “perceived value” factor so that their line appeals to the masses.

My trainer at QVC had us go through an exercise to get deep into the psychology of the QVC customer.

Listen closely: You can use this in your marketing, as well, because this “psychology” that motivates the QVC customer to buy is exactly what motivates your DREAM clients to buy… even if you sell a luxury product.

Here’s what selling on QVC taught me about VALUE (and how to communicate it).

Click to Tweet: What selling on #QVC taught me about Value http://goo.gl/lyJ1P0

Now it’s your turn! In the comments below this video, tell me the following:

1. Have you ever been guilty of committing one of these annoying mistakes?
  2. How are you currently communicating VALUE in your sales, marketing, and branding?

If you are interested in learning more about how you can become a designer with VALUE, join us for our FREE Training series: The 3 Steps to your Thriving Jewelry Business.

1. Melissa Camilleri on January 13, 2015 at 4:13 pm

I love your new set! Great job Tracy! I love your tip about actually saying “affordable luxury.” I saw another designer who sells clothing to my same kind of customer say, “Beautiful pieces. Nothing over $150” or something like that. Great way to position yourself to your customers. LOVE!

• Tracy Matthews on January 20, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Thanks lovely…its my apartment! LOL Yes love the affordable luxury idea

2. Laura Wallis on January 13, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Such a terrific insider view into how an entrepreneur can take advantage of the same key sales techniques that the big brands do. These are such important insights in “laying the foundation” for the health and growth of a business. Thanks so much for sharing this, Tracy, and love seeing you in that QVC footage!

• Tracy on January 14, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Laura,

Thanks for your comment!! I cringe every time I look at the footage but it’s taught me how I can improve off the cuff.

But YES!! The lessons are invaluable and I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Xo-tracy!

3. Carmela Taglialavore on January 13, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Excellent advise! It’s so true that the importance of how a custommer will FEEL with her purchase is a key factor in the decision to buy the item. Thanks for sharing your marketing skills Marlene. Happy New Year!

• Tracy Matthews on January 20, 2015 at 8:45 pm

YES! How do YOU feel when you wear your jewelry??

• Marlee on February 27, 2017 at 2:10 am

Your’s is the inglieltent approach to this issue.

• http://immobilienkredit.club/ on September 1, 2017 at 3:30 pm

Melissa,Great post!I have been using Smart Energy bulbs for several years now.I am a true believer that every bit (WATT) saved is not only more money in my pocket, but also the energy that can be used elsewhere with more needs.My whole house is "wired" with Energy Smart bulbs. I am LOVING it!Very Timely post!

4. Kristen Romans on January 16, 2015 at 1:50 pm

This is a fantastic video Tracy! Such succinct and excellent pointers toward understanding what motivates our customers and how to communicate to them. Thank you once again for *awesome* value.

• Tracy Matthews on January 20, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Thanks my love..yes I think it can be easy to forget all of the value inherent in our work. You are so welcome…xxoo

5. Joann Loos on August 23, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Editing comment. In your paraphrase, change ‘identifying why someone NEEDS jewelry” to “WANTS jewelry”.

• Tracy Matthews on November 18, 2016 at 10:08 am