How to Write a Compelling Jewelry Designer Bio For Expert Branding

Are you struggling to write a compelling About Me page for your jewelry brand? Unsure about how to communicate your story or your bio? Do you feel like you are interesting but your story (in the written form) is boring?

Well you are not alone. In fact, I struggled with writing a compelling bio for years. True story: my first few bio or about pages on my various iterations of my website were quite boring. More like a list of facts than something interesting that my clients could connect with.

Your bio is often the first connection and the first insight a potential DREAM client has to connect with you. It’s  YOUR STORY and stories should be interesting. Think about picking up a novel. You wouldn’t keep reading if you fell asleep during the first page would you? The same holds true with your artist bio. The first step to captivating your audience is with your story.

I’ve loved working with designers in the F&TA community and in our Mastermind Program to help them perfect their artist stories. Here are a few of the common threads that I believe will help you write a better bio (or story) for your Jewelry Brand.

1. Write in the first person

According to your school of thought, you may disagree with me. In fact, most of my first bios were written in the third person. Personally, I find that writing from the first person perspective creates a connection with your audience.

Tell me which sounds more engaging to you:

“Tracy Matthews’ passion for design started as a child.”

or

“My Passion for design started as a child.”

Writing in the third person is still correct and many people still do it. However, if you are just starting out and trying to engage your audience, try writing in the first person.

2. Open with something compelling about you!

The opening line on my artist bio goes something like this:

“One of my clients recently called me a jewelry visionary”

Compelling, right? I also love this opening line from Sapna Mehra:

“Over the years, I’ve learned that circumstances don’t determine who you are or who you can become.”

Make it interesting…no need to go straight into your education or your inspiration.

3. Avoid a list of facts

Yes, you may or may not be in a lot of stores and have your work worn by a lot of celebrities. You may also have certain credentials that are important to list. At the end of the day, too much information is just that, TMI.

Slip in your credentials, your accolades and your successes but make it interesting to read.

Here is a great example for Swati Jr. Jewelry:

“My work is an extension of who I am. As a yogi and Jyotishi (Vedic astrologer) as well as a Masters student of Body-centered Expressive Art Therapy, I am influenced greatly by consciousness, the cosmos, Nature, creativity, healing and uplifting others.”

4. Make it conversational and fun

Don’t bore your audience, make the tone conversational and keep the mood light. Have some fun!

A great example? Add personal stories like this adorable story from Cindy Wimmer of Sweet Bead Studio:

“In case you’re wondering just how I came up with the name, sweet bead studio, I have my oldest son to thank.  We were driving along in the car talking about my new jewelry shop that was in the works.  What to name it…hmm…that’s when he called out, “How about Sweet Beads?”  I added “Studio” to it and my new shop was born!  The brilliant little guy was only 5 at the time.”

5. Highlight what makes you an “original” designer or your process unique

One of the designers we worked with last year, Jeanne Verger, has such an awesome spirit. Her passion for design is evident in the way she writes about her journey.

“I loved the process of connecting to my heart, designing and knotting each gemstone and infusing them with positive intentions and affirmations.”

Sapna Mehra has an excellent example of her process as written about the process of creating Kundan:

“Gold becomes kundan only after passing through fire.

Kundan is a unique form of purified 24k gold that’s created by repeatedly firing gold at extreme temperatures till all impurities are burned away. The purified gold is pounded down, burnished into flowing ribbons of kundan and used to set gems into intricately enameled bases.”

So many designers have similar looks and processes. Highlight why you are different than everyone else. Ultimately, you will attract more of your DREAM clients this way.

Finally make sure you include a picture of yourself! People want to know the designers behind the brand!

Now it’s your turn! We want to hear from you! In the comments below, answer the following questions:

1. What is your biggest struggle in communicating your story?

2. Which of these tips will you implement today?

Click to Tweet: How to write a more compelling bio http://bit.ly/1bW7Pub

1. Sharee Johnson on February 4, 2014 at 10:25 am

I happened to be on the computer while the angel food cake was baking (husband’s birthday today)and caught this post. I re-read my “about me” page on my site and made a few tweaks. I already like it much better! Thank you for this first bit of insight.

• Tracy Matthews on February 4, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Great to hear! Sharee..I love the baking and mulit-tasking and Angel food cake was my fave as a kid.

2. Nathifa Sligh on February 4, 2014 at 10:53 am

I struggle with how to incorporate my education since my degrees are not design related. I also want to my visitors to “get” why I do what I do but I’m not sure that comes across. My bio is rather long, I think, so I want to fit everything in, but in a shortish bio. I think I will work on adding more about me in my bio.

• Tracy Matthews on February 4, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Nathifa,

Best to edit your bio down. Also, incorporate your degrees. I don’t have a design degree…I bet a lot of successful designers don’t!

Tracy

3. lynni on February 4, 2014 at 11:21 am

I think “owning” who I am, liking the person I am becoming and really identifying with my uniqueness are the top things that changed how I write about myself.
    For example, when I first started this process of showing my art to the world, I was embarrassed by the fact that I’m colored-blind. Yes, it’s extremely rare in women. However I’ve come to understand that it is the uniqueness about me and my brand that will stand out in the minds of my customers. So I’m embracing the fact that I’m colored-blind, after all, who has my view of the world? Who becomes an artist when they can’t see color properly? ME! And I’ve found my passion! I believe everyone is an artist already-even those who think they can’t be!
    Lynni Wart – The colored blind artist
    Everbee Jewelry
    Because flowers go with everything!

4. Paula McKay on February 4, 2014 at 11:33 am

My biggest struggle I think is writing something others will want to read in an interesting way.
    I don’t want to come across as affected but want to capture the story of my jewellery.
    I will try to implement all of the tips !!

5. Mar Cano on February 4, 2014 at 12:18 pm

My biggest struggle in communicating my story is have no credentials in the field. I have been to several classes for different techniques, but don’t have any degree in Art, Design, or anything like that.

To me it doesn’t feel natural to write about myself and “sell myself”. I think that is my main issue and it affects everywhere in how I present myself and my jewelry.
    I will review my bio and try to come up with something more appealing. ie: I just realized mine is on the 3rd. person. and I will change it, since it never felt right.
    Thanks,!!

• Tracy Matthews on February 4, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Mar Guess what, neither do I (Have design credentials). It doesn’t matter and says something that you have talent without a degree 🙂

6. Teresa Rodriguez on February 4, 2014 at 1:26 pm

I’m also struggling to NOT write in the 3rd person since that is what I did as a reporter for 20 (eek) years. I try to be a “humble soul” and writing in first person feels odd but I will try. Also, since I don’t have a degree in design trying to figure out how I can get credibility with prospective clients through my story.
    Thank you for today’s lesson!!!! 🙂

• Tracy Matthews on February 4, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Teresa,

I can see how that would be challenging…but you might connect with your audience better in the first person. Either way is correct. You just need to do what feels right to you!

7. Amy Holton on February 4, 2014 at 3:35 pm

I’ve never been 100% thrilled with my bio either. Written from the heart, yes…but it reads as a “canned” bio to me. This post has given me a great idea on an update I can use. A couple of years ago, I wrote a post about how, though I never meet a majority of my customers, I always have a little personal connection to them because they’ve chosen one of my pieces to identify their personal style or give as a gift…a very high compliment.

I’ve never worried about not having a design background. I don’t think anyone loses credibility for that. Your designs themselves are what give you credibility. My background is finance & accounting…I worked on the trading floor at Enron! (We all know how that ended…) People are always interested to learn how I made such a transition.

8. Venus Parker on February 4, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Hi ladies,
    l just open my own bead shop six months ago and have included my bio on my website which needs to be improved and updated. Need someone to read it and give me feed back. Perhaps is a little long let me know if l need to make changes. Can’t wait to learn more about you all.

Thank you so much!
    Venus

9. Nan Lewis on February 4, 2014 at 9:47 pm

My biggest struggle in communicating my story relates to your 5th tip about what makes you an original designer or your process unique. I feel like I’m still trying to figure out my style and processes and I feel very insecure trying to talk about them and don’t know what to say.

My About page is already written in the First Person but I plan to re-arrange it a bit to start with a more compelling opening. I think it’s pretty good right now but I’d love your feedback if you have the time to look at it. It’s at: http://www.nanlewisjewelry.com/nan-lewis/

Thank you for this great article! It’s really very helpful!

10. Jenn on February 4, 2014 at 10:52 pm

I love the idea of starting with something compelling about my brand or name to capture the interest of who’s reading it (#2 above). I am going to rework mine incorporating part of my business name…lotus…and starting with the meaning behind it to capture the interest. Wheels are turning. great suggestions. 🙂

11. Alida Nunez on February 4, 2014 at 10:57 pm

I’ve always hated that time when I have to write about myself. It turns out I’m not the only one. Since I started my jewelry business in 2004, I’ve always had in mind that I had to address to my costumers in third person, as a company. But I always had the doubt if it was better to show myself and be more personal. Sometimes I write in plural: “Our products…” but the truth is that when my clients want to purchase wedding bands or an engagement ring, it’s just me behind the desk.

I’ll try to change the third person mode into first person. I totally see your point, Tracy.

12. Gina Melosi on February 7, 2014 at 10:37 am

Hey Tracy

Am kind struggling with this as I’ve always put my Bio in the 3rd person. I think right now mine is boring, and old as was written some while ago, and I’ve been meaning to update it for ages! http://www.ginamelosi.com/
    I’ve been researching, and a lot of the designers whose positions I want to be in: Pamela Love, etc. have About Me’s in the 3rd person. I’m feeling like this still might work better for me while I build the brand and awareness. I also do commission work, but haven’t updated this to my site yet. I want to have a section for this in addition to my webshop.
    I’ve just had an interview with me which I think is good, and was thinking to use excerpts of it with the writers’ permission (find it’s actually hard to write what’s in my head and find a good balance of trying to present myself professionally but not sounding like I’m tooting my own horn!) Sorry in advance for the long message, but I include the interview here. Comments/thoughts welcome!!! Gx

‘“Conceptual, Contextual and Quixotic” are the three words in which Gina Melosi

uses to describe her jewellery. Her captivating pieces are formed from ideas

stimulated around the contrast of the “clear beauty yet potential danger” of

shattered glass.

It is part of her inquisitive nature and the need to question herself that drives

Melosi in life and work, “curiosity about the world… life beyond this realm.”

Making stories from the questions she asks about life are her interpretations and

attempts “at deciphering our existence.” It is easy to see why deep, thoughtful

concepts revolve around and ignite her work. Perhaps this is a link to her fine

art background, having studied a BA in the subject, specialising in studio art and

photography, before revisiting education to complete an MA in jewellery design

at London Metropolitan University.

It was during her MA that she initially started to experiment with danger,

creating a selection of ‘not-so-wearable’ jewellery pieces made of shards of glass.

Beautiful and fragile in appearance, yet the underlying notion of strength and

danger pushed the concept and possibilities further.

of our skin being a physical border between the world outside and the world

inside; “where does one begin and one end?” Glass became the exploration

of these theories, suggesting physicality. Stating, “the dichotomy of pain and

pleasure is intrinsic. The world is not so black and white in terms of wholly

negative versus wholly positive”; it seems direct contrast and juxtaposition is

something that runs through Melosi’s ideas and creations. She admits she does

try to mirror conceptual contrasts, perhaps composing further questions, both

for the viewer and for herself.

After starting the MA “pretty naked’” her ideas grew through rigorous

questioning; however the “organic” process eventually filtered into ideas of

body modification. It is these ideas that developed into Melosi’s first collection

for her own brand. Appreciating that creating a brand selling jewellery entirely

made of glass would not work, she set to alchemise a collection of glass jewellery,

making casts of glass and recreating them in to a more wearable, luxurious

form. The debut collection //SHATTERED fragments// and second collection //

broken PROMISES// followed this technique, however as the second collection

developed so did the concept. Inspired by thoughts of how shattered remnants

of glass could be formed, she drew ideas from walking the streets of London. The

stories the fragments evoke are an underlying idea in this collection. Describing

it as essentially creating found objects, each piece potentially had a story to tell,

but the idea being each person would create a different one, filling in different

details.

The third collection //CRACKED// saw a new direction for Melosi. Still creating

from glass, the collection looked deeper into the glass itself, into the cracks and

negative space. The context behind this is suggestive of what goes on between

the lines, what is not said, the pauses, the gestures and the subconscious. She

described this collection as having more of a classic look, and perhaps the refined

pieces are symbolic of connotations of human behaviour; the smaller glimpses

of psyche people display. Ultimately one could pinpoint Melosi’s ideas as coming

from and relating to humans or human behaviour, perhaps a psychological,

sociological aspect to her work.

We can expect another new twist with the new SS14 collection, //mineD/

/. A more personally inspired collection, “influenced by my heritage and the

effects of mining and open-pit mining on the landscape”, based on her maternal

family’s land of Montana. “The minerals and stones are sourced from there. I

started working in copper and using rough, uncut stones.” Melosi is very much

conscious of where her materials come from; earnest in sourcing recycled, fair

trade materials for all her pieces. However she does realise this isn’t something

every consumer is particularly interested in. Driving up prices, she says it can

work to her detriment. “However I am determined to stick to my ethics on this,”

something that will most likely have its reward in the future.

With plans to grow the brand, moving into a new space and “a brand new

concept collection-wise” for SS15, Gina Melosi is definitely currently in an

aspirational business and creative role.

After discovering the sentence ‘We are all shattered fragments trying to become

whole again” on Melosi’s social media page, I asked how she thinks one could

become whole, and what pieces are needed, in her opinion, to do so. Although

she admitted to not having a direct answer to this herself, she did suggest that

these pieces would be different for everybody.

“We enter this world with all of the answers inside, but we have to find the

tools to unlock all these codes.” “I think we are continually learning, or not if we

decide to give up! We have to find what is the best for ourselves to be the best

we can be, and that is the hardest task of all.” She is probably right, although

we may never know the full answer. It is clear however, that working with this

theory works for Melosi. Her development and intrinsic ideas manifested in her

creative, conceptual jewellery is astoundingly unique.’

• Sophie B on October 15, 2015 at 5:40 am

Hi Gina,
      Just wanted to say : your design, your pictures are reflecting such a personal mind & creative universe, that to my mind you don’t need to worry that much on your bio. Your jewelry, your (beautiful) videos and picture are clearly speaking for you.
      I agree with you about writing at the 3rd person, I dare saying it fits better with where you are now in the jewelry business, and with your creative universe. “I=close, warmth, comfort, trust” and for me that is not your jewelry is about (danger, strenght, memory…).
      Maybe you can add to your bio the first sentance of your interview, and this one which I think is really accurate and strong : “Fascinated with the “borders of the body and the limits of the self” and the idea of our skin being a physical border between the world outside and the world inside; “where does one begin and one end?”
      Discovering your label creative universe today makes me happy.
      Best regards,
      Sophie

• Sophie B on October 15, 2015 at 5:46 am

sorry I just realized your post was dated February, 2014.

• Gina on May 26, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Oh, thank you, Sophie! Somehow I have only seen this now… ummmm, quite sometime afterwards! But I appreciate your feedback a lot.

• Tracy Matthews on June 12, 2017 at 11:56 am

That’s the Thrive Tribe community vibe at work here! 🙂

13. Tina Cook on February 7, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Thank you for the helpful information. I have struggled with my about page from the very start and have had many variations. But I took your advice and started again. I would be most grateful to anyone who would have a look and let me know what they think. http://www.shinyies.co.uk/

14. Sophie on February 9, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I struggle with knowing how much I should be projecting a professional persona and how much I should be flaunting the fact that I am a small business, a one women show with a personality! Do I tell people that Lisa at shipping is totally my mum or do I elude to having a more professional approach than that?

15. Cindy on February 11, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Tracy, what a great article and as you can see – one we all struggle with. I do like sharing in the first person as well, yet I feel a bit of the same struggle that Sophie mentions – walking the line between an projecting an established company and yet sharing that you are a handrafted business as well. Thank you for including an excerpt from my Bio as an example in this post… the funny thing is that I actually have a new Bio that I haven’t put on my site yet (this one is quite old now)…and didn’t think to keep this part where I mention where my shop name came from. I should rethink that and maybe keep that personal story!

16. Johnny P. on December 10, 2014 at 2:04 am

Hello Tracy, I too have trouble writing in first person,and putting my ideas down so customers can understand me and my designs better, but most of all I’m more embarrassed of my designs and on how women will see them and I have fears that they think its ugly,also on me being a male designer, I kind of find it hard to relate to customers because im a man designing jewelry. I am now moving from hobby/business to full time business and changing my whole collection, I’m moving towards a more vintage/costume jewelry look, I find it more pleasing and it talks to me more then what i made before and todays modern jewelry. I love your site and i think i will need a lot of advise in the future. Thank you

17. Tracy Marlowe on December 10, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I don’t believe in coincidence and this morning is no exception! I need to provide someone with a short bio, and this is the first link I clicked on. About 9 years ago, my boyfriend a the time, bought me a Tracy Matthews necklace from our local jewelry boutique, for my birthday. He said it reminded him of me. It was a pivotal moment for me, as I was struggling with the confidence to walk into this store, presenting my own line. I did a little research and realized we had much in common (Our names included!) I took a leap of faith, walked into the store with my favorite pieces, and was welcomed with open arms. I’ve been there ever since. You inspired me then, and you inspirer me still! Thank you. I still need to come up with something compelling about myself this morning… The seeds are planted!! XO

18. Sally on January 19, 2016 at 1:36 pm

looks like an old thread here .. but very informative .. i will read and start jotting down notes about my self and my designs.. i struggle with the confidence in my self and my work and as others have said the fact that i dont have official qualifications.. all self taught and still learning here .. note pad at the ready

19. www.jewelryappraisersinbocaraton.com on December 22, 2016 at 5:49 am

High quality and attention to detail are what you should expect.Whether you need a custom design or jewelry repaired, you can rest assured that all appraisals are done while you wait and never leave your sight.

• Tracy Matthews on December 22, 2016 at 10:56 am

Thanks for your comment!

20. Boutique Delight on December 6, 2017 at 1:42 pm

What would be bio from a wolf pendant jewelry shop?