How to Talk About Your Jewelry Designs (without feeling Skeevie)

Do you agree? Talking about your jewelry designs can be totally nerve-wracking!

When I was first starting out as a designer, I was VERY sensitive about my work. It felt totally weird and even a little skeevie to talk about it! Designing has always been such a personal process for me, so it was easy to avoid talking about what I did for a living and take the passive approach.

It wasn’t until I realized that I was my best salesperson that I grew the courage to just go for it. Even though I consider myself an extrovert, this extroverted lady can still get a bit nervous putting herself out there.

With practice, talking about my designs has become second nature, and I’ve been able to gain tons of exposure and clients because of it! When I was wholesaling, I could sell circles around many of the salespeople on my team when I was at trade shows. Within this last year, I landed clients at dinner parties, weddings, while on vacation and at conferences.

Why? Because buyers wanted to know ME! They wanted to hear straight from my mouth what was so awesome about my work!

You can’t deny the fact that YOU are your BEST salesperson!

You might be a bit SHY and feel totally uncomfortable about talking about your designs. So what’s a designer to do when they feel skeevie about talking about their work? I’ve got some tips for you.

Click below to watch my ideas on:

How to Talk About Your Jewelry Designs (without feeling skeevie)

After you watch the video, answer the following:

1. What makes you feel skeevie about talking about your work?

2. Tell me about one time that you spoke about your work and made a sale.

Click to tweet:  How to Talk About Your Jewelry Designs (without feeling skeevie) http://bit.ly/1m9vfXJ

1. Adri on October 8, 2014 at 2:31 am

Sorry to be late to the conversation!

I feel skeevie about talking about my work because a) I don’t really do “high end” jewelry – my work is all about being fashionable and affordable and b) I am self-taught. I feel like I lack the academics and the “street cred” to put myself out there in a conversation. Also, my upbringing really focused on being humble and emphasized serving others, so I feel uncomfortable promoting myself and my work.

2. Talking to a friend of a friend, I was able to get a custom commission because she had seen some earrings I’d made for our mutual friend, which opened up the conversation to other pieces I made.

2. Cassandra bazos on October 11, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Hi Tracy,

This was a great video. I have always felt skeevie and awkward taking about my jewellery in front of others. I often find that when someone asks me what I do or comments on my jewellery and I respond that I make it/them the response I get is, wow a lot of people are doing that today. I feel that the “general” public is really under educated about what goes into making pieces that are purely metal and require some level of training. It makes me feel like the person I am talking to has lumped me into a category that I don’t fit into and move on to another conversation.

I did get one client from a conversation at an event once 🙂 I was at a Greek celebration dinner and a woman came over to strike up a conversation and was admiring my necklace. Turns out she was interested in the piece as a gift for some of her clients (she’s a real estate agent). We bumped into each other again about 1 month later at another event and she asked me to email her the details about the piece and she purchased one to wear out and get feedback from her friends. It was my first sale from my new brand and collection!

The only issue I had was when she asked me if I had a website and where I was currently selling my items. I like to wear my prototypes out to get feedback from others before I move on with my production, photos, etc. So right now I have nothing other than the prototypes on hand. It’s proving to be a bit of an issue b/c when people ask I’m at a loss of what to say.

3. Julissa on February 9, 2016 at 1:55 pm

It’s much easier to unnsteradd when you put it that way!

4. http://www.reevesquadruplets.com/ on July 8, 2016 at 10:15 am

There are kelp tablets, and kelp salt which you can sprinkle on food. Not sure what else – I’ll look into it. I do have a seaweed extract liquid I take, it has some polyphenols added like dark cherry, but it is quite expensive.

• Tracy Matthews on November 18, 2016 at 10:37 am