Tuesday Tip: Quick Tip to Increase Your Average Order Value
Today, I want to talk about a quick tip to increase your average order value as a small business owner.
This is something I talk about a lot here on Thrive By Design (I even mentioned it in last week’s Tuesday Tip!), but I cannot overstate just how amazing it can be.
It’s something I think a lot of business owners forget about, especially when they’re trying to grow their sales.
Here’s what to do…
Make a list of all the people who have purchased from you recently.
Whether they bought from you on your website or at a show, compile a list of everyone who’s purchased something from you recently. It might help to make a spreadsheet.
Include their name, contact info, the product(s) they bought, and any other information that might help you connect with them.
Then, find another product you sell that you think they’d be interested in.
For instance, if they bought a necklace and you sell a pair of matching earrings, that would be an easy win.
The more personalized your recommendation is, the better.
Create a DM, text, or email script for the upsell.
Once you have your list ready, it’s time for the scary part (not really!).
You’re going to shoot them a DM, text message, or email. Phone calls also work, but in my experience, DMs and text messages tend to get the best response.
But first, you need a script.
Keep your upsell script super simple:
- Personalized greeting – “Hey Julie, thanks so much for shopping at my pop up at West Elm last week!”
- Follow up on their purchase – “I just wanted to check in and ask how you’re enjoying that necklace you bought?”
- Wait for a response
- Validation – “I’m so happy to hear that! I would love to see how you’re styling it.”
- Product recommendation – “I was thinking of you because I have some matching earrings. There’s only one pair left, and I thought I’d offer it to you first.”
- Link to product – “Here’s the link! If you’re not interested, don’t sweat it. I’m glad you’re enjoying your necklace!”
Speaking from personal experience, I’d wager there’s like a 50% chance they buy the product you recommend.
Add this upsell technique to your small business sales strategy.
This is such an effective sales strategy for small businesses, and you can totally systematize it and make it a regular part of your process!
Obviously, it might be a little bit harder to convert if you’re selling jewelry at a higher price point, but that’s okay because each sale you do make has a big impact on your revenue.
Listen to the 5-minute episode above to hear more about why this works so well.
Fast Cash Strategies Mini Course
More Resources for Jewelry Designers